Why Chino Valley Ranchers Eggs are Pesticide-Free
Everyone knows pesticides are harmful chemicals. But what exactly are pesticides?
According to the United States, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), “pesticide products contain both ‘active’ and ‘inert’ ingredients: An ‘active ingredient’ prevents, destroys, repels, or mitigates a pest, or is a plant regulator, defoliant, desiccant, or nitrogen stabilizer. All other ingredients are called ‘inert ingredients’ by federal law. They are important for product performance and usability.”
Active ingredients are categorized into the following three categories:
- Conventional – all ingredients other than biological or antimicrobial pesticides
- Antimicrobial – substances used to destroy or suppress the growth of harmful microorganisms, such as bacteria, fungi, or viruses
- Biopesticides – ingredients derived from certain natural materials
The term “inert” does not necessarily mean non-toxic. Inert ingredients are mixed with active ingredients and can be chemicals, compounds and other substances such as common food commodities (edible oils, spices, herbs) and some natural materials (beeswax, cellulose).
The EPA lists the following roles that inert ingredients can play in a pesticide:
- Act as a solvent to help the active ingredient penetrate a plant’s leaf surface.
- Improve the ease of application by preventing caking or foaming.
- Extend the product’s shelf-life.
- Improve safety for the applicator.
- Protect the pesticide from degradation due to exposure to sunlight.
Health Effects of Pesticides
Depending on the pesticide family and category, exposure to pesticides can lead to the following harmful health effects:
- Irritation to skin, eyes and respiratory tract
- Intestinal pain
- Allergic reactions
- Neural and visual disturbances
- Bizarre or aggressive behavior
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Burning in the mouth, throat, chest, upper abdomen
- Ulceration of skin
- Dry, cracked hands
- Loss of consciousness
- And many others
Some pesticides are so dangerous, that just a few drops can be fatal to a 150 pound person!
The Chino Valley Ranchers Promise
We take our commitment to organic seriously. The risks of pesticides to the health of our employees, chickens and our customers is not worth the rewards of a slightly bigger profit margin. We believe all products should be organic and pesticide-free and that’s why Chino Valley Ranchers does not use pesticides and all of our chickens and feed are organic and pesticide-free.