We know, we know. There’s so much information floating around about eggs right now. Cage free, free range, organic, vegetarian fed…the list goes on, and now we’re going to add soy free eggs to it. But why soy free eggs? There are so many reasons!
- Food allergies: Soy is one of the top 8 allergens. Oftentimes people think they might be sensitive to eggs when in fact they’re sensitive to the soy that concentrates in the yolks (we’d also like to take a moment to clarify that there is a difference between a true food allergy and food sensitivities. A true allergy often causes anaphylaxis whereas a sensitivity might cause some stomach issues).
- Chickens are omnivores, so those “vegetarian fed” eggs you see at the grocery store aren’t all that great. They are actually descendants of the Velociraptor, a small but fierce meat-eating dinosaur. Thus, they were created to eat mice, snakes, bugs, worms, and insects. Feeding chickens a diet that is 95% corn and soy is not healthy for them or their eggs.
- Commercial chicken feed, which is fed to caged hens, often uses recycled vegetable oil from restaurant fryers as filler. First, can we get a collective gag for that? Gross! Experts feel that consuming factory farmed chickens and eggs is like drinking soybean oil for the body. Can we get another collective gag?
- Children are particularly affected by consuming soy. They tend to have irregularities in their sexual development, often developing much ahead of schedule.
- Soy free eggs from pastured hens have vitamin D levels up to 6 times higher than those from factory-farmed eggs. A diet high in soy can deplete a chicken’s vitamin D store.
- Most soy in the USA is genetically modified. Long-term studies have shown the damage that GMOs cause to hamsters over several generations. The consumption of GMOs has not been tested on humans, but there is a possibility that it can affect future generations’ DNA makeup.
SEE ALSO: Chino Valley Ranchers Introduces a Half Dozen Soy-Free and Pastured Eggs
SEE ALSO: How Do You Eat Eggs If You Have a Soy Allergy? Buy Soy Free Eggs!
At Chino Valley Ranchers, we take the health of our hens and their eggs seriously. After much consideration and requests from our consumers, we recently started a soy free line of eggs. We worked closely with a nutritionist to ensure that our soy free eggs would be receiving the best nutrients, and they sure do. Our soy free eggs are free of antibiotics, hormones, fillers, and they come from hens that roam freely and get the exercise and sunshine they need to be happy and healthy. If you have any questions, please give us a call!