Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Huevos Rancheros
Who says you have to wait until dinner to celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Start celebrating with huevos rancheros for breakfast because . . . why not? You can stick to the original huevos rancheros recipe, or change it up. We’ll help you out with the original recipe and give you a few ideas to make the dish your own.
Homemade Huevos Rancheros — Original Style
To start off, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- ½ cup refried beans (pinto or black)
- 1 cup green chile sauce
- 2 tbsps butter
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ounces shredded cheese
- 2 tbsps freshly chopped cilantro
10 Easy Steps
- Preheat the oven to 200℉.
- Heat up the tortillas in a cast iron skillet.
- Heat up the chile sauce and refried beans (separately) in a microwave for 30 seconds.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of beans onto each tortilla.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet and break two eggs once the butter starts to simmer. Fry the eggs over medium-low heat according to personal preference.
- Transfer the eggs to the tortillas and fry the other two eggs.
- Transfer the last two eggs onto the tortillas and sprinkle with cheese.
- Spread the chili sauce over the tortillas and place the tortillas in the oven for a few minutes (until the cheese is melted).
- Remove the tortillas from the oven and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve warm with extra sauce on the side.
If You Want to Spice Things Up
If you want to do something a little different this year, here are a few ways you can re-imagine huevos rancheros.
- Add avocados and replace the chili sauce with salsa verde.
- Add roasted sweet potatoes made with your choice of spices.
- Make the eggs scrambled!
- Replace the tortillas with a breakfast muffin.
- Turn them into a nachos recipe. (Check out this recipe from The Works of Life)
- Give it an extra crunch with Doritos.
- Serve in a personal size skillet with freshly sliced avocados.
- Blow everyone’s socks off with a Huevos Rancheros Casserole.
Finding the Perfect Pair
If you’re having huevos rancheros for dinner, then you might consider pairing with a glass of wine or a Mexican-style beer, like a Pacifico, Sol or Modelo Especial. Check out this article by the Richmond Magazine for some tips on finding the right drink.
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo
With huevos rancheros, family, and friends you’re all set for some celebrating. Enjoy!