Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a Traditional Irish Egg Recipe
Happy St. Patrick’s Day from Chino Valley Ranchers! To help you eat like the Irish do, we’re happy to share an authentic Irish egg dish with you: Scotch eggs.
While this recipe supposedly originates from England, Scotch eggs are very popular in Irish restaurants. Take a look at this yummy Scotch egg recipe and enjoy trying it out this St. Patrick’s Day!
What You’ll Need: (Serving Size: 6 eggs)
- 7 Chino Valley Ranchers Eggs
- 1 cup of dried breadcrumbs
- 1 pound of sausage
- 1 cup of flour
- Pre-heat the oven.
Pre-heat your oven to 400° F.
- Hard-boil the eggs.
Place a pot of salted water on the stove and gently put 6 out of the 7 Chino Valley Ranchers eggs into the pot. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 8-9 minutes.
- Peel the eggs.
Once the eggs are cooked, peel the eggs under cold water and set them to the side.
- Take out four bowls and do the following with each one:
- Bowl One: Place flour in the bowl and season with some salt and pepper.
- Bowl Two: Crack a fresh, non-boiled egg into the second bowl and beat lightly.
- Bowl Three: Place breadcrumbs in the third bowl.
- Bowl Four: Add your choice of sausage into the final bowl. For some additional flavor, you can add thyme and parsley. Make sure to mix these ingredients with a fork until it is evenly distributed.
Time to Assemble:
- Shape the sausage.
Take a handful of the sausage meat and flatten it into an oval shape with your hands.
- Wrap the egg.
Take the flattened sausage and wrap it around the egg, making sure that there aren’t any gaps and that the meat covers the entire egg.
- Bring in the flour.
Coat the meat-covered egg with flour and place on a baking sheet.
- Dip the eggs.
Fully dip the floured eggs with the beaten egg (Bowl Two) and roll it in the breadcrumbs.
- Time to Cook!
Place the eggs on a cooking sheet and put them in the oven to cook for about 25-30 minutes, making sure that the breadcrumbs are crispy and the sausage is fully cooked through.
From there, your Scotch eggs are ready to be enjoyed. Whether you eat them warm or cooled, they are tasty either way! To ensure the best outcome of the dish, it starts with picking the best eggs. Be sure to purchase your eggs from Chino Valley Ranchers, a fresh and delicious egg producer in California.